Sunday, December 25, 2011

finding magic in the mess


* * * * *

"The holidays are a perfectionism minefield. My expectations always need radical reality-checking this time of year and that normally comes in the form of a total meltdown. The good news is that I often have a lot more fun on the backside of my breakdown when I start letting go and leaning into the crazy.

As I think about my own life and reflect upon what many of the people around me are going through this Christmas, it's clear that struggle doesn't take off for the holidays. The gremlins don't go on vacation. Checks bounce, chemotherapy appointments are scheduled, relationships keep unravelling, being alone feels even lonelier, and the "never enoughs" are in full swing.

As I prepare to spend the next two weeks with my big, wonderful, crazy circle of friends and family, I've decided to find my holiday magic in the mess; to practice love and gratitude with the special group of folks who keep showing up and loving me, not despite my vulnerabilities, but because of them."

And as I think of my Builders, Silvio and Angelo ~

May you find inspiration in the big picture,
but may you find love in the details.

Last...with help from Brene Brown
who always has my words and helps keep me grounded!!!

~ Love, Sylvia

xo